‘What’s Raj Dharma? There is no such thing anywhere in the country. There’s only one dharma, Muslim dharma’
- Sonia Gandhi attacks BJP ideology, says Country is at crossroads
- Rahul mocks Modi, says his Gujarat development model is a toffee model
- Under fire over Baru's revelation, Congress retorts by calling 'Vajpayee the weakest PM India ever had'
- Narendra Modi, party not separate, no infighting: BJP on Joshi's remarks
- Priyanka Gandhi denies report on fighting polls against Modi
Hello and welcome to this special edition of Walk the Talk. My guest today is, well, there are many ways to describe him — ageless angry young man of Mumbai, cartoonist, and the Lion in Winter... so let me ask Balasaheb Thackeray which one does he prefer.
Call me a tiger.
A tiger for all seasons?
All seasons, yes. There is no season. When I met Narendra Modi, I said here is a Gujarat lion. He liked it, enjoyed it.
Considering that not many people say good things about him...
When there was some problem in the BJP (after the Gujarat riots) and every one was hammering on the Ahmedabad riots — no one was talking about Godhra — and everyone was demanding Modi must go. I was the only one to have asked Modi what he wanted to do. He said, "Yes Balasaheb, I am still thinking..." I said, "No, do anything but do not quit." I told BJP, "If Modi goes, Gujarat goes..."
Where would Gujarat go? Did you mean politically...
Today, they are actually ruling in Gujarat. They had, how many states at that time? Now all the states are with Congress. It could have been Gujarat also.
You mean the BJP would have lost?
Of course. Definitely.
So did Mr Advani listen to you?
He must have listened to me because Modi is still there... and doing well, going very fast.
But remember, Atalji had gone to Gujarat and talked about Raj Dharma. There was something to that talk also. There was an issue of Raj Dharma in what happened in Gujarat, wasn't there?
- Sonia, Rahul must come clean on issues raised in the books:BJP
- Security men at every step, Shinde keeps ‘safe distance’ from voters, debunks charges
- In Beed, Modi factor dents Munde’s goodwill among Muslims
- Ambareesh campaigns for Nilekani
- Raids on Bellary moneylender yield Rs 8.74 crore cash
- MP faces Amreli villagers’ ire in campaign