‘What’s Raj Dharma? There is no such thing anywhere in the country. There’s only one dharma, Muslim dharma’
- Parliament LIVE: Expert committee to review use of pellet guns, says Rajnath
- Dalit fury spills over to Gujarat streets, 9 more try to end lives; CM meets family assaulted in Una
- Hit by campus protests, FTII makes new students sign ‘decorum, decency’ affidavit
- Dalits are 'soft target' for cow vigilantes: fact finding team
- Suspicious bag found inside Dubai-Amritsar SpiceJet flight
Hello and welcome to this special edition of Walk the Talk. My guest today is, well, there are many ways to describe him — ageless angry young man of Mumbai, cartoonist, and the Lion in Winter... so let me ask Balasaheb Thackeray which one does he prefer.
Call me a tiger.
A tiger for all seasons?
All seasons, yes. There is no season. When I met Narendra Modi, I said here is a Gujarat lion. He liked it, enjoyed it.
Considering that not many people say good things about him...
When there was some problem in the BJP (after the Gujarat riots) and every one was hammering on the Ahmedabad riots — no one was talking about Godhra — and everyone was demanding Modi must go. I was the only one to have asked Modi what he wanted to do. He said, "Yes Balasaheb, I am still thinking..." I said, "No, do anything but do not quit." I told BJP, "If Modi goes, Gujarat goes..."
Where would Gujarat go? Did you mean politically...
Today, they are actually ruling in Gujarat. They had, how many states at that time? Now all the states are with Congress. It could have been Gujarat also.
You mean the BJP would have lost?
Of course. Definitely.
So did Mr Advani listen to you?
He must have listened to me because Modi is still there... and doing well, going very fast.
But remember, Atalji had gone to Gujarat and talked about Raj Dharma. There was something to that talk also. There was an issue of Raj Dharma in what happened in Gujarat, wasn't there?
- UN faces a crisis, but its new secretary general is unlikely to upset tradition
- South China Sea verdict has changed the ground rules for future engagement with China
- Empowering women through JAM
- Resolution of citizen grievances is an indicator of the performance of government departments
- Telescope: Grace and the lack of it
- The endeavour for a common civil law must be to end discrimination, and not stamp majority might