’02 riots: Ex-DGP writes to Guv for action against babus, top cops
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Retired DGP R B Sreekumar Wednesday wrote to Governor Kamla Beniwal requesting her to order the state government to initiate departmental inquiry against the bureaucrats and IPS officers who failed to take action against those involved in the 2002 riots.
In a 27-page letter, Sreekumar requested that an inquiry should be initiated against the officers for professional lapses in the investigation of riots. Also, he has sought scrutiny of all the judgments of the special trial courts.
Sreekumar said the handing over of bodies of the Godhra train carnage victims to the VHP "displays indictable irresponsibility and misconduct of Godhra District Magistrate Jayanti Ravi and Godhra SP Raju Bhargava..."
He alleged that state ministers I K Jadeja and late Ashok Bhatt had positioned themselves in the DGP office and Ahmedabad Police Control Room on February 28, 2002. "The very act of remaining present in police offices without authority, agenda or role in police work would satisfy the ingredients of Sec-186 IPC to proceed against them," he wrote.
Sreekumar further said that the Nanavati Commission had issued several notifications asking government officers to depose, but many officers, particularly those incharge of areas affected by the riots, did not file affidavits.
He said that based on a request by the National Commission for Minorities, he had prepared a report on "inflammatory" speeches by Modi, which was "blocked" by then DGP K Chakravarti and, subsequently, he was transferred from the State Intelligence Bureau.
- Modi govt abetted and pushed 2002 riots further, we didnâ€™t in â€™84:Â Rahul
- Rahul gifts his land near Vadraâ€™s in Haryana village to sisterÂ Priyanka
- Hrithik Roshan, Hrithik Roshan Bang Bang, Hrithik Roshan starts shooting, Hrithik Roshan Katrina Kaif, Katrina Kaif bang bang | The Indian Express
- Indiaâ€™s biggest failing | The Indian Express