$100 million temple thrown open near Hollywood
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's book by Rajiv Gandhi govt was wrong: Chidambaram
- Woman IPS officer transferred after spat with Haryana health minister
- Pakistan ready for talks with India without preconditions, says Nawaz Sharif: Report
- Cabinet expansion in Maharashtra sets pitch for lobbying in BJP
- Bhushans should join BJP, says AAP after criticism of Janlokpal
Days after its inauguration, one of the biggest Hindu temple in US, built at a colossal cost of USD 100 million and designed to last 1,000 years has become a major draw for its grandeur and architecture.
The 68th Swaminarayan temple built near the Hollywood city in Los Angeles has been carved out of traditional stone and marble and cutting edge technology to protect it from earthquakes.
"The Mandir is a beautiful testament to the hard work of your congregation who has spent several years to build this place of worship," Chino Hill Mayor Peter Rogers said.
"The Mandir and Cultural Center will indeed be a place that Chino Hills can be proud of for so many, many generations," he added.
Constructed from 35,000 pieces of meticulously hand carved Italian Carrara marble and Indian Pink Sandstone, the temple encompasses five pinnacles, two large domes, four balconies, 122 pillars and 129 archways.
From the external walls and domes to the inside pillars and ceilings, the Mandir is completely etched with intricate carvings in marble and sandstone.
The 6,600 hand-carved motifs depict a mosaic of tales of inspiration, devotion and dedication, along with historical figures from Hinduism, temple officials said.
"Artisans created the carvings in India with great love, skill and patience before the pieces were shipped to Chino Hills," a BAPS statement said.
The Mandir is situated on a 20-acre site, complete with 91 foot lotus-shaped reflection pond, a Cultural Center, gymnasium and classrooms.
It is designed to "calm the mind and open it," said Ronak Patel, a volunteer of the BAPS Swaminarayan Sanstha.
BAPS said that it is first earthquake-proof Mandir in the world.
"The upper structure of the complex is protected from earthquake damage by separating it from the base with a series of 40 base-isolator units," it said.
- True economic reform is one that makes a clean break from the past
- When Aamir chooses to talk about fears of Hindu intolerance, he does his faith a disservice
- Cricket is the only Indian religion in whose name people don’t kill each other
- There is a complaint about intolerance from those who frankly don’t like the change in govt
- Inside track: Changing tactics
- Good governance is in actions, not in 'abolishing' religious holidays of minorities