‘Abducted’ BSc student, Class X girl rescued from brothel
- 15 security personnel killed as Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh
- Lack of legal power hampers probe into missing Malaysian Airlines jet
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
A 21-year-old girl from Uttarakhand pursuing a BSc course and a 16-year-old girl from Bihar, both allegedly abducted and forced into prostitution, were rescued by police from a brothel in Budhwar Peth on Thursday. While the 21-year-old was duped by a man who promised to marry her but sold her to a pimp, the minor girl had been abducted from Siwan in Bihar and brought to Pune.
Acting on a tip-off from volunteers of an NGO, a police team led by inspector Bhanupratap Barge rescued the two girls from a building in Budhwar Peth red light area on Thursday afternoon.
Police said the 21-year-old girl is from Dehra Dun in Uttarakhand and was allegedly lured on the pretext of marriage about an year ago and sold to a pimp in Pune by a person identified as Anil. Barge said, "The girl told us that Anil used to study with her in college and had promised to marry her. She was sold to a pimp. She was threatened and all her modes of communication with her home were cut off. Anil is still at large."
The police also had information about the minor girl from Siwan and rescued her. Barge said, "She had studied till class X. She told us that she was on her way to a town near her village for college admission along with her brother, when some people told her they would get her a job. She was kidnapped by them and brought here. She was also forced into prostitution in the same place."
Police have arrested two women managers of the brothel. Police have booked them suspects under the the IPC for abduction, and the Immoral Trafficking Prevention Act.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express