Another wonder revealed: Qutub Minar draws most tourists, Taj a distant second
- Bengal unit of Congress in a fix after it tweets out controversial Rajiv quote
- Thank You, PV Sindhu
- Those who consider India their country should treat cow as mother: Jharkhand CM
- India should be a lot bolder in meeting military needs of Afghanistan: Hamid Karzai
- Army seizes weapons after encounter on Myanmar border
New Delhi, JULY 24
TAJ MAHAL may have been included in a list of seven wonders of the world in a recent global poll but when it comes to attracting tourists, it is a distant second to the Qutub Minar in Delhi.
The marble mausoleum is slightly higher up on the itinerary of foreign tourists, but even among them, only a seventh take the trouble of visiting Agra.
According to official figures, Taj Mahal received about 25.4 lakh visitors last year, both domestic and foreign. In comparison, Qutub Minar attracted 38.95 lakh visitors, or more than one-and-a-half times that of the Taj, to be the most visited monument in the country.
The Red Fort in Delhi, recently included in the World Heritage List of UNESCO, was third most popular with 21.01 lakh visitors in 2006, followed by Agra Fort and Fatehpur Sikri.
Taj Mahal was recently voted as one of the seven wonders of the world in a global Internet and SMS poll conducted by a private organisation based in Zurich, Switzerland. But for all the passion the Taj generates and despite being promoted as the flagship destination in campaigns like the Tourism Ministry's Incredible India, the 17th century structure hardly attracts the kind of numbers that it has the potential to.
- There are systemic flaws and vulnerabilities. But India is on the right path
- Wrestlers lose face, and perhaps an Olympic medal, and NADA its credibility
- In the I-Day speeches of PMs of India & Pak, blame-games that paper over hard realities
- Swarajya to su-rajya
- Instead of waiting for talent to appear, we must create a national sports culture
- We need to think creatively about the proposed defence university