ĎArmy officers colluded with Adarsh promotersí
- Congress rakes up Vajpayee's Rajdharma remark post 2002 Gujarat riots to take on Modi
- Mulayam's shocker: Boys will be boys, they make mistakes... Will you hang them for rape?
- SC junks PIL seeking reconstitution of SIT probing Gujarat riots
- Modi mentioned wife in affidavit after SC order on full disclosure
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Rahul Gandhi brings up Narendra Modi's marital status at Doda rally
The report by the Adarsh probe panel also indicts Army officers saying they abdicated their duties and conducted themselves in a manner that helped the Adarsh CHS get possession of the land in question "otherwise than by due procedure."
The panel names Maj Gen T R Kaul, Col T K Sinha, Maj Gen A R Kumar, Brig M M Wanchoo and others as those who benefited by securing apartments in the housing society.
"Rightly or wrongly, the land was in possession of the Army. The commission has already held that the land belonged to Government of Maharashtra (GoM), and not to the Ministry of Defence (MoD). Therefore, it was necessary for the GoM to take possession of the land from Local Military Authority (LMA) and thereafter hand it over to the Adarsh CHS."
"Chief promoter (of Adarsh CHS) Kanhaiyyalal Gidwani and secretary R C Thakur took possession of the land in question in a mysterious way directly from the LMA. This wouldn't have been possible unless some of the Army officers had conspired with the chief promoter and the secretary of Adarsh CHS," the report says while naming the Army officers.