‘Blade runner’ Oscar Pistorius charged with girlfriend’s murder
- Congress backs Priyanka Gandhi as she hits out at opposition for 'targeting Robert Vadra without proof'
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Mulayam Singh files nomination from Azamgarh; Third FIR against Giriraj Singh
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Narendra Modi: Omar Abdullah
- IPL spot fixing: Do you want to probe charges against Srinivasan? SC asks Justice Mudgal panel
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, KXIP vs SRH: SRH field first, Pathan comes in for Ishant
Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius, South Africa's 'Blade Runner' national hero, was on Thursday charged with the murder of his girlfriend, who was shot inside his home in Pretoria.
Reeva Steenkamp, who spoke out on Twitter against rape and abuse of women, was shot four times in the pre-dawn hours in the house in a gated community, police said. A 9 mm pistol was recovered.
The court hearing was postponed until Friday to give forensic investigators time for their work, prosecution spokesman Medupe Simasiku said.
Police said Pistorius had recently faced "allegations of a domestic nature". Earlier, in 2009, he crashed a speed boat which he was piloting drunk, causing himself serious injuries. In a separate incident, police intervened after he quarrelled with a coal mining baron over a woman. He owned firearms and bragged about his shooting prowess on social media.
Hours before her death, Steenkamp, a leggy blonde model with a law degree, had tweeted that Valentine's Day should be "a day of love for everyone".
Steenkamp, one of FHM magazine's 100 Sexiest Women in the World for the past two years, was to give an inspirational talk at a school on Thursday morning. The next day she was going to wear black to protest the brutal rape and mutilation of a 17-year-old.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready