‘Circle style kabaddi not recognised at national-level’
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
With the Punjab government claiming of taking circle style Kabaddi in Asian and Olympics, sports authorities indicated that circle style Kabaddi, presently being played in the World Cup Kabaddi tournament organised by sports department is not even recognised at national-level.
In national and Asian games, national style Kabaddi is being played, however, circle style Kabaddi is the game of rural Punjab and majority of Punjab and Haryana players expertise in it. Union Minister of sports Jitendra Singh, said, "I feel the government hasn't even taken up the matter with the sports department. Moreover, they need to recognise it at national level first and then think of playing the style outside the country".
Union sports minister Jitendra Singh during his Punjab visit had categorically mentioned that so far the state government had not even taken up this issue with sports department. Moreover they were not even aware that a Kabaddi cup is being organised.
The contradictory statements of the centre as well as the state have thus raised question marks if Punjab government is actually serious in taking up this game at an international-level or the statements are mere political to woo the rural voters.
National style Kabaddi is the only recognised game. Recently, a tournament in this style was organised at the National school games event in Bathinda. "In order to win medals at National as well as International level, the government must strengthen the already recognised game", said Sangrur MP Vijayinder Singla. He added, "Vague promises of taking the game to an international level will not serve the purpose. They need to follow a proper procedure". As of now the India olympics association (IOA) stands disbanded and hence, taking circle style Kabaddi in Olympics seems to be a distant dream.
- Live: Kejriwal does a U turn, urges people to come in largeÂ numbers
- Women competent enough, they need opportunities, saysÂ Rahul
- â€˜Modi has a majoritarian, authoritarian attitudeâ€¦ such a policy and style of govt would be a disaster for thisÂ countryâ€™
- â€˜Narmada water not reaching farmers for want of minor canalsâ€™ | The Indian Express