‘Expedite rehabilitation of farmers affected by Tarapur plant’
- A person killing people with Quran in his hand is not Muslim, but a terrorist: Aamir Khan at #RNGAwards
- Dubai shuts down part of metro's green line over large fire
- Oceans, cyberworld should not become new theatres of contests: PM Modi
- Financial transactions motive behind Sheena's murder, CBI tells court
- J&K: Army jawan, three terrorists killed in separate encounters
Senior BJP leader Ram Naik on Monday urged the state government to expedite the rehabilitation of 1,250 families whose land was acquired to build the Tarapur nuclear power plant.
Naik, the intervenor fighting for the cause of the farmers for the past decade, said, " None of the promises made to the people whose land have been acquired for the project have been completely compensated. Of the total 289 farmers 112 are still awaiting for an alternative land after government acquired their land for the project." The monthly rental compensation of Rs 2,500 per family is not paid to some of them in spite of their legitimacy. Even the exgratia of Rs 30,000 awarded to the landless families remains unpaid.
"As per the norms the amount which should have been invested for the rehabilitation of the local farmers, fishermen and residents works out to Rs 310 crore. But till now only Rs 85 crore have been utilised on the affected families." Naik said.
"The process of land acquisition for the project had begun way back in 1989. The power generated is not only used in Maharashtra but also outside state. Yet, people affected by the project remain ignored by state government and company," he said.
- Open channels of communication are vital for democracy and governance
- Slogans should be backed with appropriate strategies, else they remain showbiz
- Ideas seem to be the BJP’s enemy, whether from within or from without
- No country is ready to send boots on the ground, thus ensuring the survival of the IS
- Bad monsoon memories
- Across the aisle: A flat growth rate indicates India's economy is in poor shape