‘Gangrape’ victim dies
- Mad rush, chaos as Arvind Kejriwal takes local train to woo 'aam aadmi' in Mumbai
- SC defers hearing on Sahara's plea on releasing Subrata Roy
- IAF aircraft on standby for missing Malaysian Airlines search ops
- Presidential delay in mercy petitions: SC won't reconsider verdict
- Lalu loyalist-turned rebel Ram Kripal Yadav joins BJP
An alleged gangrape victim, who attempted suicide by setting herself ablaze at her house in Deoria on January 23, died at the BRD Medical College in Gorakhpur on Saturday evening.
The police said the woman took the extreme step as she was upset over the incident.
The 24-year-old victim, who had sustained more than 80 per cent burns, was shifted from Deoria district hospital to Gorakhpur after her condition deteriorated. On Saturday evening, she died at the hospital.
Inspector Suraj Pal Singh of Kotwali police station said all five accused in the case had been arrested. The woman had been staying with her father, G Rajbhar, in Deoria for the last two years after a marital dispute.
Rajbhar stated in the FIR that on January 23 when his daughter was returning home after visiting a friend in a nearby village, Bablu of the same village stopped her and forcibly dragged her to his house, which is in an isolated spot. He was accompanied by his three associates Balwant, Gulel and Chhathhu. The accused detained the girl for over two hours and raped her.
The police said, the next day, the woman bolted her room from inside and set herself on fire.
- Trouble for Khobragade as govt finds daughters have US, Indian passports
- AAP’s existence a miracle of Bhagwan, Allah: Kejriwal at Mumbai road show
- HC breather for widow, stay on sessions court order to act against her for filing ‘false complaint’
- Explain stand to DCP: HC to TISS students
- Cops record statements of two priests whom Sanap ‘consulted after crime’
- Atletico end Italian hopes