‘Gangrape’ victim dies
- All attempts being made to free soldier in Pakistan captivity: Rajnath Singh
- SC cancels Mohammad Shahabuddin's bail, orders police to take him into custody
- Congress and I stand by PM Narendra Modi: Rahul Gandhi on surgical strikes
- Bihar liquor ban: Patna HC strikes down govt's prohibition law, terms it 'illegal'
- LIVE: PM Modi calls second Cabinet Committee on Security meet
An alleged gangrape victim, who attempted suicide by setting herself ablaze at her house in Deoria on January 23, died at the BRD Medical College in Gorakhpur on Saturday evening.
The police said the woman took the extreme step as she was upset over the incident.
The 24-year-old victim, who had sustained more than 80 per cent burns, was shifted from Deoria district hospital to Gorakhpur after her condition deteriorated. On Saturday evening, she died at the hospital.
Inspector Suraj Pal Singh of Kotwali police station said all five accused in the case had been arrested. The woman had been staying with her father, G Rajbhar, in Deoria for the last two years after a marital dispute.
Rajbhar stated in the FIR that on January 23 when his daughter was returning home after visiting a friend in a nearby village, Bablu of the same village stopped her and forcibly dragged her to his house, which is in an isolated spot. He was accompanied by his three associates Balwant, Gulel and Chhathhu. The accused detained the girl for over two hours and raped her.
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment