‘Give Ambedkar status equal to Mahatma Gandhi’
- Porn ban: Govt lifts ban on websites sans child pornography
- Mumbai attacks: Five explosive revelations made by Tariq Khosa
- Parliamentary panel on land bill postpones meet following suspension of Congress MP
- Combative Opposition stalls Parliament proceedings
- Missing Pawan Hans chopper sighted, rescue operation to resume tomorrow
Members of the Doctor Ambedkar Prinivaran Bhoomi Sanman Committee on Monday said his memorial should be maintained in a similar way as Mahatma Gandhi's memorial was being maintained.
Chairman of this committee C S Atwal, who is also Punjab Assembly Speaker, said, "We will be holding a rally in Delhi on December 6 in this connection."
He said the NDA government had purchased 1.5 acre land for the memorial with a cost of Rs 16 crore in New Delhi, but the memorial did not have proper upkeep. Dr Ambedkar's contributions could not be ignored for society at large, so he also deserved the same status as Mahatma Gandhi had been given.
While Raj Ghat has been spread over 50 acres, Prinivaran memorial is only spread in 1.5 acres of land, he added.