‘Give Ambedkar status equal to Mahatma Gandhi’
- Pakistan court declares 26/11 accused Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi's detention void
- Chairs broken, MLAs faint in Kerala Assembly as Finance Minister KM Mani presents budget
- ‘Love jihad’ gets a Bengal reply: Bahu lao, Beti bachao, ‘purify’ Muslim brides
- Kolkata Park Street rape victim dies
- LIVE: PM Modi arrives in Sri Lanka; assures visa on arrival for Lankan nationals
Members of the Doctor Ambedkar Prinivaran Bhoomi Sanman Committee on Monday said his memorial should be maintained in a similar way as Mahatma Gandhi's memorial was being maintained.
Chairman of this committee C S Atwal, who is also Punjab Assembly Speaker, said, "We will be holding a rally in Delhi on December 6 in this connection."
He said the NDA government had purchased 1.5 acre land for the memorial with a cost of Rs 16 crore in New Delhi, but the memorial did not have proper upkeep. Dr Ambedkar's contributions could not be ignored for society at large, so he also deserved the same status as Mahatma Gandhi had been given.
While Raj Ghat has been spread over 50 acres, Prinivaran memorial is only spread in 1.5 acres of land, he added.