‘Harassed’, girl commits suicide
- In aftermath of fidayeen attack, here are PM Narendra Modi’s Uri choices
- Srinagar: All flights suspended after MiG 21 overshoots runway, pilot safe
- India plan to corner Pak: Sushma’s speech at UN, rallying global support
- Uri attack: Avoid rash military action, commanders advise Government
- Supreme Court junks PIL demanding alternative to collegium system
A 17-year-old girl from Hargobind Nagar died after consuming acid on Friday.
Shabnam had consumed acid on Thursday and was rushed to Dayanand Medical College and Hospital.
Kundan, a shopkeeper, his father Somnath and brother have been booked by the police from division number 4. Booked under Section 306 of the IPC for abetment to suicide, all three accused are absconding.
Mohammad Hamid, father of the deceased, said Kundan ran a small-time grocery store in the locality and used to tease and harass his daughter. Humiliated by the taunts and remarks of the accused, she took the extreme step of committing suicide.
After the victim's death, her family and relatives got angry and the situation became tense. ADCP (city-1) Nilambri Jagdale, ACP (north) J Elanchezhian and SHO, police station, Division Number 4, Inspector Vinod Kumar rushed to the spot.
Inspector Kumar said following a complaint filed by the father of the deceased, the police registered a case.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Uri choice
- Only 27 per cent of villages in India have a bank within a five km radius
- Decline in political discourse is evident in language used by politicians to belittle rivals
- Raja Mandala: A movement in coma
- Indian languages’ writers are taking on dogmas, myths and falsehoods
- Pakistan wages its proxy war against India with impunity