‘Honour killing’: On way back from court, man shot dead
- LIVE: ISI supports LeT, JeM and Hizbul, David Headley tells court
- J&K govt formation: Ram Madhav to hold talks with Mehbooba Mufti to break impasse
- Soldier, who survived Siachen avalanche, being flown to Delhi hospital
- DDCA row: Delhi HC dismisses Kirti Azad's plea seeking court-monitored probe
- Net bad assets of govt banks a third of their net worth
In a suspected case of honour killing, a 23-year-old man, Adnan, was shot dead by two unidentified motorcycle-borne miscreants while he was returning home from a local court, where he had gone to get his marriage registered with a girl belonging to another religion, in Civil Line police station area of Etawah district on Saturday afternoon.
Adnan and the girl — Kirti — had solemnised Nikah and were staying together since August last year.
Kirti was accompanying Adnan when the incident took place. She is a native of Triveni Nagar locality in Lucknow, where her father is employed with the Forest Department. Kirti was staying with Adnan at his residence in Etawah since August 8. Kirti told the police that one of the assailants probably belongs to Kanpur.
Etawah Additional Superintendent of Police Rishipal Singh said they have no information about the identity of the suspect.The police are searching for the assailants.
Station Officer (SO), Civil Lines police station, Radha Mohan Dwivedi said Adnan was running a dhaba in Ikdil area. He added: "We had information that the couple had solemnised nikah and were planning to get their marriage registered. They had filed an application in the court for the same on February 8 and they were asked to come today," said Dwivedi.
He added that the witnesses required in the process for registering a marriage could not appear on time, following which the couple was returning home.
The SO said, Kirti told them that she had seen the accused talking to Adnan on court premises. They had told Adnan that one of them belongs to Kanpur.
- Government must resolve growing burden of non-performing assets
- Outrage over police assault on students is meaningless
- Right to a toilet: For the health, dignity and safety of women in slums
- Raja-Mandala: Maritime India versus Continental Delhi
- The Akhilesh-Mulayam duet
- We have turned our back to the intense food and drinking water distress