‘I attempted suicide in court so that rapists are punished’
- Sahara case: Hearing deferred in SC, Subrata Roy to remain in jail
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
A day after an alleged victim of gangrape attempted suicide during a court hearing in the case, the police on Thursday recorded statements of the court officials.
The girl, a resident of Amraiwadi area in the city, had consumed pesticide in front of the magistrate. She was apparently tired of attending court hearings for the last five years.
The girl was allegedly gangraped in 2007. Her father had lodged an FIR a few days after the incident when she recovered from her injuries during her 14-day hospitalisation.
When the police did not act on the FIR, the girl's mother filed an application in the metropolitan court, which began looking into the matter. The girl has been attending the court hearings ever since and was reportedly disturbed and depressed.
Investigating Officer PU Sisodiya said, "The girl has narrated the whole incident to us. She says she was depressed and lost hope due to the delay in justice even as the accused walk free. We spoke to her parents to make representations, if necessary."
"We have recorded statements of the court registrar and other staff of the magistrate. They also said the girl was upset due to the delay in court proceedings," he added.
In her statements to police, the girl reportedly said she had attempted suicide earlier also but she did not die. "...I am so unlucky that I tried to die twice but survived. I could have committed suicide at home but I decided to consume poison in the court to draw its attention and punish the rapists," the police quoted her as saying.
DGP orders probe
DGP Chittranjan Singh on Thursday directed Ahmedabad Police Commissioner S K Saikia to inquire into the reasons behind the gangrape victim attempting suicide in a local court. "The CP has to submit the inquiry report in a week," Singh said.
- Terror accused wrongly jailed for 14 yrs, NHRC notices to Home Ministry, police
- SP hints no candidates against Sonia, Rahul
- In Hills, BJP gains GJM edge
- Delhi Police forms patrol teams to check pick-pocketing in Metro
- Two months to go and EC receives myriad complaints
- Maharashtra hailstorm hits crop worth Rs 5,000 cr
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress