‘I showed restraint throughout’
- Netaji files show family was under observation, intercepted communication hinted at sightings
- Indian fisherman allegedly killed in Pakistan firing off Gujarat coast
- Maharashtra government transfers Sheena Bora murder case to Central Bureau of Investigation
- Another drowned toddler washes up on Turkish beach: report
- Taliban attack on Pakistan base kills 29; 16 die in mosque
He was the most promising entertainer on Bigg Boss Season 6, but then, just like that, Navjot Singh Sidhu quit the show on Friday. The official explanation claims that the move comes after Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP) chief Nitin Gadkari expressed desire that the cricketer-turned-MP campaign for the party in the state. "It was the call of duty — the best way to leave the house, I suppose," said Sidhu, en route home from the Bigg Boss house.
However, the buzz is that the call indeed came from the party, but the real reason was Sidhu's behaviour on the show and the possibility that it would tarnish BJP's image. On the show he admitted to have cheated in a cricket match and his proximity to hairstylist Sapna Bhavnani would not reflect well on the party ahead of the elections. "My behaviour was that of restraint throughout. I did what no contestant could — I did not break and become bitter in the absence of life crutches, such as communication devices," he points out. Talking about his blow-hot-blow-cold relationship with Bhavnani, the cricket commentator said that he managed to melt her animosity and the two only hugged and made up. "Why would BJP find anything objectionable about my behaviour? In fact, it is Delnaz Paul I was most close to. She is a fighter and dignified, just like me," he said.