‘India will have to double food production by 2040’
- India's naval might on full display off Visakhapatnam coast
- Kerala solar scam: Had freedom to enter Chandy’s house anytime, says Saritha Nair
- Australian national suspected to be IS supporter deported from Delhi airport
- At least 39 dead as Gujarat state transport bus plunges into river
- Cops have a case for new juvenile law: boy who ‘killed 2’
"Our current food production is 250 MT and we must double it by 2040 to feed the ever-increasing population. There is an urgent need to undertake a second Green Revolution by bringing research institutions, industry, governments and farmers together," said Gokul Patnaik, Chairman, Conferences CII Agro Tech 2012.
The inaugural conference at CII Agro Tech focused on the future of Indian agriculture and sustaining Indian agriculture growth.
Patnaik, while chairing the international conference said, "Our aim should be to take technology to the Indian farmer and guide the farmer and the farm industry towards maximum value creation. In order to meet the GDP projected target, we have to register at least 4 per cent growth in agriculture sector."
Param Vir Singh, Minister of Agriculture, Haryana, the chief guest saidthat in order to have inclusive growth, growth in agriculture sector is of paramount importance.
Salil Singhal, Co-Chairman, CII National Committee on Agriculture, said that since 65 per cent of the population is engaged in agriculture, the need of the hour is to revamp agriculture to make it economically viable. "We have to bring global technological advancements to the door step of the farmers," he said.
"There is a huge demand and supply gap in food supply. In order to address the issues, we have to undertake several measures including aggregation of farm land, deployment of new technology, crop diversification, value addition in food chain, investment in food packaging.," S Venkatraman, Senior Vice President & Principal, Rabo Equity Advisors, said.
- No proof required: MGNREGA does not help poor
- Male-dominated ‘places of worship’ are places where god doesn’t reside
- As Sushma visits Lanka, India should invest its diplomatic capital in finding constitutional solution
- There is talk of 4th industrial revolution. How about spreading the benefits of the preceding three
- It Made China See Red
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2