‘Kai Po Che! chose me’
- India’s surgical strikes along LoC show intent to act strongly against terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls up Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror'
- PM Modi holds Cabinet Committee on Security meeting; Rajnath, Jaitley, Doval present
- Narendra Modi's review meet on MFN status to Pak postponed to next week
- Day after sharing terror information with Pakistan, NIA revises details
Five years after Rock On!!, Abhishek Kapoor returns with another story of friendship
When filmmaker Abhishek Kapoor's Rock On!! became one of the biggest hits of 2008, everyone expected him to lap up the opportunity and make his next movie soon after. After all, he had struggled a lot before finally tasting success . Related to producer Ekta Kapoor, few remember that Abhishek's Bollywood break was as an actor, and that his directorial debut was not Rock On!! in 2008 but Aryan in 2006. Although the popularity of his second film opened doors for him, the filmmaker had to wait another five years before his third, the upcoming Kai Po Che!, could be made.
The reasons for this delay were plenty. He had the mammoth task of adapting Chetan Bhagat's novel, The Three Mistakes of My Life, into a screenplay. "It is tough to crack an adapted screenplay because a book works on different principles. I may have chosen Rock On!!, but Kai Po Che! chose me," he says.
Once the screenplay was ready, Abhishek approached Excel Entertainment, producers of Rock On!!, to back this project as well. He finally got UTV on board as producers. "Excel was in two minds and in the meantime. I understood that people can have creative differences," he says. The director asserts there is no fallout with Excel Entertainment.
Abhishek, who started out as an actor in Bollywood, believes that his success today is the sum total of his failures in the industry. "When I did those movies, I was not happy in my zone as an actor. Today, when I look back, all these failures validate and mean something." His films, in a way, represent his own struggles, with themes that revolve around middle-class dreams and the eventual rise of the underdog. While Aryan is the story of a boxer torn between his love for the sport and his family, Rock On!! was about a group of friends who get a second chance at fulfilling their dreams of becoming musicians. His latest feature, Kai Po Che! tells the story of three ambitious boys from Ahmedabad, looking to start a business that would earn them fame and riches. "The book goes into so many different directions. But I chose one theme and made friendship the fulcrum of the film. Everything else revolves around it," says Abhishek.
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment