‘Killer’ of UP astrologer shot in encounter
- Election LIVE: Pawan Bansal, Raj Babbar among 71 candidates in Cong's second list
- Supreme Court denies bail for Sahara chief Subrata Roy
- December 16 gangrape: Delhi HC upholds death sentence of four convicts
- US investigators suspect missing Malaysia jetliner flew for hours after losing contact
- Shiv Sena hits out at BJP, asks it to follow "alliance dharma"
The Jaunpur police on Sunday gunned down Satyam Singh alias Sheru, who allegedly shot dead VIP astrologer Ramesh Tiwari at his residence in Oonchgaon village on November 15 last year. Sheru carried a reward of Rs 50,000 on his head.
During the encounter, two police constables, identified as Narendra Singh and Ram Babu, suffered gunshot injuries. Their condition was stated to be stable at the hospital they were rushed to.
Acting on a tip-off, the police laid a trap near Sakhoi village. Around 6 am, police spotted four persons coming on two motorcycles. When the cops asked them to stop, the motorcyclists opened fire and tried to escape. The police returned the fire, in which one person was killed while the others escaped. The deceased was later identified as Satyam Singh alias Sheru.
The police has arrested 10 persons in connection with the murder of astrologer Ramesh Tiwari.