‘Killer’ of UP astrologer shot in encounter
- Delhi: Multi-vehicle pileup on NH-1 leaves at least five dead
- Siachen avalanche: Air pocket under 35 ft of snow kept Lance Naik Hanumanthappa alive
- Facts dispute claims by banks: write-off gallops, recovery crawls
- Upset allies Akali Dal and Shiv Sena let BJP know: Keep us in loop
- David Headley deposition adjourned for the day following technical glitch
The Jaunpur police on Sunday gunned down Satyam Singh alias Sheru, who allegedly shot dead VIP astrologer Ramesh Tiwari at his residence in Oonchgaon village on November 15 last year. Sheru carried a reward of Rs 50,000 on his head.
During the encounter, two police constables, identified as Narendra Singh and Ram Babu, suffered gunshot injuries. Their condition was stated to be stable at the hospital they were rushed to.
Acting on a tip-off, the police laid a trap near Sakhoi village. Around 6 am, police spotted four persons coming on two motorcycles. When the cops asked them to stop, the motorcyclists opened fire and tried to escape. The police returned the fire, in which one person was killed while the others escaped. The deceased was later identified as Satyam Singh alias Sheru.