‘Killer’ of UP astrologer shot in encounter
- Moga molestation case: Family refuses to cremate victim, seeks cancellation of bus firm's permit
- Ramdev rebuts Opposition, says his medicine doesn't promise male child
- Economic policy 'directionless', minorities anxious: Shourie on Modi government
- Six Baltimore officers face murder charges in black man shooting
- 'All of a sudden, I saw light': Nepal earthquake survivor recounts rescue
The Jaunpur police on Sunday gunned down Satyam Singh alias Sheru, who allegedly shot dead VIP astrologer Ramesh Tiwari at his residence in Oonchgaon village on November 15 last year. Sheru carried a reward of Rs 50,000 on his head.
During the encounter, two police constables, identified as Narendra Singh and Ram Babu, suffered gunshot injuries. Their condition was stated to be stable at the hospital they were rushed to.
Acting on a tip-off, the police laid a trap near Sakhoi village. Around 6 am, police spotted four persons coming on two motorcycles. When the cops asked them to stop, the motorcyclists opened fire and tried to escape. The police returned the fire, in which one person was killed while the others escaped. The deceased was later identified as Satyam Singh alias Sheru.
The police has arrested 10 persons in connection with the murder of astrologer Ramesh Tiwari.