‘Mamata in way of strong civil society’
- Sushma Swaraj rubbishes Pakistan's 4-point peace formula at UN
- US shooting: 15 dead, 20 wounded at Oregon community college; shooter detained
- Day after Dadri lynching, VP Ansari says state has to ensure right to life
- Delhi: Man shoots self at Rajiv Chowk Metro station
- BJP MP compares Modi with Gandhi, Cong says 'sycophancy at its worst'
International Affairs and History at the London School of Economics, took a dig at the Trinamool Congress government during an event at IIM Kolkata on Wednesday.
He said West Bengal always lacked a civil society, which is the moral conscience of any state.
"West Bengal never had a civil society because the communists would not allow it. I would regret to say that Mamata Banerjee doesn't allow a civil society here," he said when asked to comment on the state's position vis-a-vis his recent article which said Bangladesh has a strong civil society.
Guha made these comments on the sidelines of the closing ceremony of the golden jubilee celebrations at IIM Kolkata.