‘Manipuri insurgent’ arrested in Naxalbari
- LIVE: ISI supports LeT, JeM and Hizbul, David Headley tells court
- J&K govt formation: Ram Madhav to hold talks with Mehbooba Mufti to break impasse
- Soldier, who survived Siachen avalanche, being flown to Delhi hospital
- DDCA row: Delhi HC dismisses Kirti Azad's plea seeking court-monitored probe
- Net bad assets of govt banks a third of their net worth
A Special Task Force (STF) team of Kolkata police arrested a suspected Manipuri insurgent from Naxalbari area in Darjeeling on February 11.
The suspect, identified as Bunty Singh alias Bijen alias Angamba alias Hira, was brought to the city late Tuesday night produced in court today.
Bunty Singh is a allegedly senior member of United Peoples Party of Kangleipak (UPPK), a banned terrorist organisation in Manipur.
According to sources in STF, the 35-year-old Bunty Singh, who used to work for the organisation as finance manager, has several times visited the city and has a strong network in the state. "Bunty Singh is suspected to be involved in several kidnapping cases in Siliguri and Alipurduar regions in Darjeeling and Jalpaiguri districts. We are probing the cases," said a senior STF official.
Bunty Singh is also said to have close links with the most wanted UPPK leader Kanta Singh. "Bunty Singh used to stay and work as an associate of Kanta Singh in Nepal. We have arrested him from the Indo-Nepal border. However, we could not reach Kanta Singh as he was at the Nepal side of the border. We are also trying to find the network Bunty Singh has here. He used to run an arms supply racket in the state," said the official.