‘Modi a farsighted leader... nation needs such a strong leadership’
- Supreme Court grants recognition to transgenders as third category of sex
- Unethical, betrayal: Prime Minister Manmohan Singhâs daughter voices family anger
- On Ambedkar Day, BJP says UPA favoured Muslims over Dalits
- RSS-led core group maps Modi campaign route
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi becoming PM is a fantasy, says Mamata; Varun files nomination
On a two-day campaign trip to Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal is not only confident that his Gujarat counterpart Narendra Modi will assume office for the fourth term, but also tells Ritu Sharma that the results of Gujarat and Himachal polls will further "threaten" the existence of UPA-II government
You have just completed elections in Himachal Pradesh. Do you expect any surprise?
The poll results will be on expected lines for us. However, we will create history, as no incumbent government has ever been voted back to power in
Himachal Pradesh. We have already created new records. In the past, the government could not run beyond two and a half years. For the first time in 1998, the BJP formed a government that ran for five years.
You are considered very close to Modi. How do you see his prospects of returning to power again?
Modi has no challenge in Gujarat. He has been a very successful CM. Gujarat model is considered to be an ideal for every state. The HP government has also entered into a number of MoUs with the government. We always got full co-operation from the Gujarat government and the CM. Modi is a very farsighted leader. You may like him, or you may not, but you certainly cannot ignore him.
Do you endorse Modi as a PM candidate?
First I have come to support him as the Chief Minister of Gujarat and thereafter. That's why I say, Gujarat has a chance to stand behind one man named Modi. He has already emerged as a national leader. The nation needs such a strong leadership.
What is Modi's strongest point?
I think Modi can anticipate things well in advance. Secondly, he can plan and he has a determination to implement his plans. As a friend, I know him as a soft, sympathetic and helping person. I would tell the people of Gujarat that they have got the best leader and the best model of governance. The whole world is looking at Gujarat's election results.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties
- BJP dancing to the tune of RSS: Sonia Gandhi | The Indian Express
- After Sanjay Baru, former coal secretary Parakh’s book embarrasses PM; ‘Singh had little political authority’
- How can Modi honour women if he can’t mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Rahul Gandhi insulting Ambedkar by taking credit for laws: Narendra Modi