‘Modi represents forces that brought down Babri Masjid’
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
CPM general secretary Prakash Karat Friday launched a blistering attack on BJP's prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, terming him as the representation of the forces that had brought down the Babri Masjid in Ayodhya, and added the Left regime was fighting for a secular alternative in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections in 2014.
"The Left parties are working for a secular alternative. We do not think the BJP is the alternative for the Congress. We will have an alternative that will be based on alternative policies," Karat said while addressing a rally called to protest the demolition of Babari Masjid exactly two decades ago.
Pointing out to the incidents of massacre of minorities in Gujarat under the tenure of Narendra Modi, Karat said that by projecting the name of Narendra Modi as the candidate for Prime Minister, the BJP and RSS are trying to add fuel to the fire of communalism in the country.
Karat also questioned Trinamool's silence on Narendra Modi, saying the Mamata Banerjee-led party does not have any ideology and will side with the party that comes to power. "They are waiting for a situation to emerge in 2014. They are neutral. They can either go this way or that...," he added. ENS