Excerpts from Vanzara's letter: Modi was my god
- Vijay Mallya tells SC he is willing to pay Rs 4000 crores of bank loans
- 18-year-old madrasa student’s arm broken for not saying ‘Jai Mata Ki’
- Pakistan's 'spy' video raises questions, his India trail offers clues
- PM Modi arrives in Belgium to attend India-EU summit
- Uttarakhand crisis: Centre moves HC challenging its order for floor test
To Addl Chief Secretary (Home),
Government of Gujarat
I, D G Vanzara, DIG of Police (under suspension), undertrial prisoner No. 4826 in Sabarmati Central Prison, hereby tender this resignation with renunciation of all post-retirement benefits on the following grounds:
...While I was serving as DIG, border range, Kutch-Bhuj, I was arrested in the Sohrabuddin encounter case by the CID (crime) of Gujarat on April 24, 2007. Along with other police officers, I was lodged in Sarbarmati Central Jail till November 22, 2012. I was also arrested in the Tulsiram encounter case by the CID (crime) on July 7, 2010. After my shifting to Taloja Central Prison, the CBI opened two more cases, the Sadiq Jamal encounter case and the Ishrat Jahan encounter case.
As on today, apart from nine Gujarat/Rajasthan police officers in Taloja Central Prison, there are 22 other officers/men in different jails in Gujarat, [a total of] 32 including six IPS officers... Most of them had served under me. I have been making ceaseless efforts on behalf of all of them to persuade this government to be of assistance to my officers and me... With the passage of time, I realised this government was not only not interested in protecting us but has also been clandestinely making all efforts to keep my officers an me in jail so as to save its own skin from the CBI and to gain political benefits.
This government suddenly became vibrant only when Amitbhai Shah, former MoS (home), was arrested. Ram Jethmalani, the most learned, senior-most and highest paid advocate of India, appeared on behalf of him and got him released on regular bail within a record three months. In contrast, when I, along with Rajkumar Pandian and Dinesh M N, was arrested, nobody from the government bothered even to provide lip service to my family.
- Bharat Mata pivot gives BJP a narrative to link what the RSS wants
- Government is undermining the much-needed MGNREGA in a time of drought
- Modi’s decision to attend India-EU Summit sends a strong message across the world
- From contaminated Sutlej waters to farmer suicides and drug abuse, Punjab is a state in freefall
- How can Europe meet its challenges without giving up its way of life?
- Aadhaar legislation points to the need for a comprehensive privacy law