‘Muslim outfits distracting from real disadvantages’
- 20 civilians killed in Bangladesh hostage siege, says Army
- Is India ready for a Dhaka-like attack?
- Bangladesh's worst hostage crisis ends, six terrorists killed
- What kind of Muslims are those who forgo the call of azaan to kill people: Hasina
- We are still not a fully open, competitive economy... too much govt interference: Chidambaram
"There are a lot of people, who are enormously disadvantaged, have reasons to complain about other things. Here, I'm not only talking about the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes but the fact that even in Bengal, if you look at Muslim groups in terms of the even-handedness of progress, they have not been as privileged. To subvert that issue into a completely different kind, and getting offended about something else is distracting the attention from the real disadvantages they face," Sen said at Kolkata Literary Meet on Sunday.
Sen said by talking about offence, they are distracting from the real issues.
His comments come in the wake of Rushdie's visit to Kolkata being cancelled at the last minute after Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee allegedly heeded to Muslim clerics' demand of not allowing the Booker Prize winning author to land in the city.
Sen also criticised the Marxists for not raising the issues like open defecation and instead focussing on gas price hike.
"When I was in Presidency College, I was a staunch supporter of the SFI (CPM's students' wing). But I am upset with various issues which Left parties now raise. I am particularly upset, when Left parties go after the issues of cooking gas (price hike) and other issues. They should also focus on eradicating the menace of open defecation, open toilets from our country," he added.
He said that withdrawal of support from the UPA-I government by the Left parties over the Indo-US nuclear deal was a "tactical mistake, but a minor thing".
- Disconnect between government and people
- PM Modi needs to shut profitless public sector companies that are ugly remnants of licence raj
- Modi's challenge: BJP not a pyramid like Cong; it's a mountain range like Himalayas
- Inside Track: Office to(i)let
- Brexit points to crises not simply British
- India rushed into applying for NSG membership without adequate groundwork