‘PMK men’ behind TN caste violence
- CBI arrests Peter Mukerjea, says he was aware of Sheena Bora murder
- Pay panel suggests 23.55% hike, minimum pay of Rs 18,000 per month
- Paris attacks 'mastermind' Abdelhamid Abaaoud died in Saint-Denis raid
- HS Phoolka releases video of Rajiv Gandhi's speech justifying 1984 riots
- Rahul accuses PM, dares govt to take action on citizenship row
Many of those arrested or being hunted by the police in connection with the violence at Dharmapuri on Wednesday belong to the Pattali Makkal Katchi (PMK), according to sources.
The PMK is a caste-based political party that draws its strength from the Vanniyars.
The first bench of the Madras High Court on Friday called the violence, that left 268 Dalit houses damaged, serious and directed the authorities to file a counter-affidavit and status report explaining what led to it.
A mob of over 2,000 caste Hindus belonging to the intermediary caste Vanniyars had attacked Dalit families after the father of a Vanniyar girl had committed suicide over her elopement with a Dalit boy from the neighbourhood. The couple, who later married, are safe, officials said.
Authorities believe no lives were lost as the Dalit inhabitants fled their houses anticipating violence following the suicide.
- What Mr Mani Shankar Aiyar won’t say
- Results of local elections indicate that the BSP is regaining ground in UP
- The idea of Bihar: Social justice cohesion should be consolidated further
- Why the British commemorate Tipu Sultan
- Why my newspaper responded to Assam Rifles notice
- India is indebted to Shanti Bhushan for undoing Indira Gandhi’s 42nd Amendment