‘Probe KMC pension fund misuse’
- India, Ireland share much in common, says Modi before leaving for US
- Volkswagen CEO Martin Winterkorn resigns amid emissions-rigging scandal
- Hardik Patel surfaces after mysterious disappearance, says he was abducted
- 2006 Mumbai train blasts: Prosecution seeks death penalty for 8 convicts
- Backward class candidates get lion's share in Nitish Kumar's list
The Calcutta High Court on Tuesday directed the police to investigate into the alleged misappropriation of funds allocated by the Centre for the old-age pension given by the Kolkata Municipal Corporation. Delivering the order, a Division Bench headed by Chief Justice Arun Mishra said the police will have to complete the probe within a particular time frame. In 2010, Sant Bux Singh, a resident of Kolkata, had filed a PIL alleging that Suman Singh, Congress councillor of Ward No-6 had misappropriated the money allocated for old-age pension. According to the petition, several fake people received the pension in the ward and alleged Suman to be behind it. Following such, the High Court had ordered a probe against Suman. The court had also ruled that the pension would be disbursed through bank accounts or post office accounts instead of cash.
Sattar gets anticipatory bail