‘Probe KMC pension fund misuse’
- BSF aircraft crashes near Delhi airport, all 10 onboard killed
- PM Modi defends Jaitley in DDCA issue, says 'he will come out with flying colours'
- Hema Upadhyay murder: Estranged husband Chintan arrested by Mumbai police
- Kabul foils attack plot for PM Narendra Modi’s Christmas visit
- SAIL bought SUV for mine inspection, used in Delhi by Javadekar
The Calcutta High Court on Tuesday directed the police to investigate into the alleged misappropriation of funds allocated by the Centre for the old-age pension given by the Kolkata Municipal Corporation. Delivering the order, a Division Bench headed by Chief Justice Arun Mishra said the police will have to complete the probe within a particular time frame. In 2010, Sant Bux Singh, a resident of Kolkata, had filed a PIL alleging that Suman Singh, Congress councillor of Ward No-6 had misappropriated the money allocated for old-age pension. According to the petition, several fake people received the pension in the ward and alleged Suman to be behind it. Following such, the High Court had ordered a probe against Suman. The court had also ruled that the pension would be disbursed through bank accounts or post office accounts instead of cash.
Sattar gets anticipatory bail
- Popular stockmarket indices are not an accurate barometer of Indian economy
- Despite their recent notoriety, Section 25 companies are not for profiteering
- The juvenile justice bill confuses revenge with justice
- Raja Mandala: Dargah diplomacy
- Suzette got justice this month. Hers was a brave battle
- Healthcare in India is a leading cause of poverty