‘Punjab, J-K emerging as drug smuggling centres’
- Rail Budget 2015: No hike in passenger fares, Prabhu promises modern rail network
- Rail Budget: Ally Shiv Sena not satisfied, but Mulayam says Prabhu has done a 'good job'
- Rail Budget futuristic and passenger centric: PM Modi
- PDP, BJP thrash out differences; all clear for Mufti-Modi meeting tomorrow
- Hummer horror: Senior policeman suspended for secretly meeting Kerala businessman
A record seizure of contraband like heroin, opium and cocaine has set the alarm bells ringing among enforcement agencies. According to the latest figures available with the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), Punjab has emerged as the centre of activity for smuggling of drugs followed by Jammu and Kashmir. Mumbai and Delhi are the transit points for transporting drugs to foreign destinations, said officials.
This year, the NCB has seized 221.20 kg of heroin as compared to 54.28 kg last year till October 31. Apart from Punjab and J&K, the states which are used for drug smuggling are MP, Haryana, Rajasthan and UP. Mumbai, Delhi, Ahmedabad remain the hub of party drugs like cocaine, ephedrine and amphetamine. It was in Mumbai that the NCB seized 29 kg of cocaine in February this year and arrested three foreign nationals.
As many as 60 cases were registered by the NCB this year while 44 cases were registered last year.
However, other agencies registered a decline in seizure of heroin where only 1,101 cases were registered across India as compared to 2,421 cases last year.