‘Punjab, J-K emerging as drug smuggling centres’
- Zero-tolerance towards communal violence, must act: Centre to states
- Varanasi: Violence breaks out during protest march, vehicles set ablaze
- Germany our natural partner, says Modi after meeting Merkel; 18 MoUs inked to boost trade
- Why the BJP finds itself in a spot before Gujarat local body polls
- Supreme Court suspends beef ban in Jammu & Kashmir for two months
A record seizure of contraband like heroin, opium and cocaine has set the alarm bells ringing among enforcement agencies. According to the latest figures available with the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), Punjab has emerged as the centre of activity for smuggling of drugs followed by Jammu and Kashmir. Mumbai and Delhi are the transit points for transporting drugs to foreign destinations, said officials.
This year, the NCB has seized 221.20 kg of heroin as compared to 54.28 kg last year till October 31. Apart from Punjab and J&K, the states which are used for drug smuggling are MP, Haryana, Rajasthan and UP. Mumbai, Delhi, Ahmedabad remain the hub of party drugs like cocaine, ephedrine and amphetamine. It was in Mumbai that the NCB seized 29 kg of cocaine in February this year and arrested three foreign nationals.
As many as 60 cases were registered by the NCB this year while 44 cases were registered last year.