‘Punjab, J-K emerging as drug smuggling centres’
- Arvind Kejriwal lands in Mumbai; takes auto to board local train
- Sahara group moves Supreme Court, seeks immediate release of Subrata Roy
- President not for executing Devinderpal Singh Bhullar, MHA disagrees
- Chhattisgarh: Maoists kill 15 security personnel in biggest attack in 3 years
- Malaysia asks India to join search for missing plane
A record seizure of contraband like heroin, opium and cocaine has set the alarm bells ringing among enforcement agencies. According to the latest figures available with the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), Punjab has emerged as the centre of activity for smuggling of drugs followed by Jammu and Kashmir. Mumbai and Delhi are the transit points for transporting drugs to foreign destinations, said officials.
This year, the NCB has seized 221.20 kg of heroin as compared to 54.28 kg last year till October 31. Apart from Punjab and J&K, the states which are used for drug smuggling are MP, Haryana, Rajasthan and UP. Mumbai, Delhi, Ahmedabad remain the hub of party drugs like cocaine, ephedrine and amphetamine. It was in Mumbai that the NCB seized 29 kg of cocaine in February this year and arrested three foreign nationals.
As many as 60 cases were registered by the NCB this year while 44 cases were registered last year.
However, other agencies registered a decline in seizure of heroin where only 1,101 cases were registered across India as compared to 2,421 cases last year.
- Rs 1.28 lakh looted at gunpoint
- Venkaiah Naidu sure of BJP crossing ‘magic figure’ in south India
- AAP candidates truly ‘aam aadmi’: Prithvi Reddy
- Bangalore fund-raiser: Dine with Arvind Kejriwal for Rs 20,000
- AAP sounds Gul Panag about Lok Sabha poll, father says decision soon
- The real high and low: Drunk cop creates ruckus in court, held