‘Royal blood disorder’ that afflicted Queen Victoria’s family line identified
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- How can Modi honour women if he canât mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Mewat simmers after poll clash, killing of Muslim youth
- After rare skull surgery at AIIMS, twins from Kerala look like each other
- Elections 2014 LIVE: FIR against Azam Khan; Rahul to file nomination papers today
The identity of the 'cursed blood' disorder that troubled the British Royal Family in the 19th and early 20th centuries has been revealed.
DNA analysis show that the disease inherited by Queen Victoria's descendants was probably a severe form of the blood clotting disorder haemophilia B, according to the study published in journal Science.
To reach the conclusion, scientists examined DNA samples extracted from the skeletal remains of Russia's Romanov family and also of Queen Victoria's great grandson Crown Prince Alexei, reports The BBC.
Through analyses, they discovered a mutation in a gene on the X chromosome that codes for the production of Factor IX, a substance that causes blood to clot. This genetic mutation is the cause of haemophilia B.
Since this blood disorder is linked to the X chromosome it passed on through the maternal line, but is only manifested in male descendants.
This is because males have only one X chromosome, so the mutation on that single chromosome is "expressed" as the disease. Females only carry the disease, because their second X chromosome is extremely unlikely to have this same, very rare mutation.
Lead researcher Dr Evgeny Rogaev from the University of Massachusetts told the BBC that it was the "final chapter" in the confirmation of the Romanov family's remains.
He added: "We have resolved a medical mystery from the past."
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit