‘Rs 104 crore NREGA payments due for financial year 2011-2012 in UP’
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Uttar Pradesh is one of the top most states in the country under MGNREGA which has failed to make payments around Rs 104 crore due for the financial year 2011-12. These include payments for material bills as well as payment for labour in the state for different NREGA works undertaken in the year 2011-2012. Out of this, about Rs 68 crore is the payment due against wages alone.
The scrutiny of data submitted by the Uttar Pradesh government under Management Information System to the Union Rural Development Ministry — undertaken by NREGA cell of Congress in the state — revealed these facts.
On-the-spot verification of some of these sites, where payments are due, proved that majority of these works is still incomplete due to either fault in the design or selection of work by the competent authority, thus leading to stoppage of work after some time.
"Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh are the only two states, where payments of over Rs 100 crore bills are still due. We did spot verification of some of these sites in districts like Maharajganj, Gonda, Mahoba, Ghazipur, Kanpur etc and came across instances of duplicate work, works which cannot be undertaken on the particular soil, works left incomplete. As per rules, payment of wages cannot be put on hold if there is technical fault by the competent authority," informed Sanjay Dixit, member of the central employment guarantee council and chairman of NREGA cell of Uttar Pradesh Congress Committee.
He further said: "There can be pending payments for few months and it is understandable; but due payments for about a year and that also amounting to over Rs 100 crore is not acceptable. Either these are fake works or works with some or the other anomaly in implementation but it is surprising that no action has been taken regarding them so far."
- I will protest against Arvind Kejriwal if he indulges in wrongdoing: AnnaÂ Hazare
- Amit Shah not named in supplementary chargesheet filed by CBI in Ishrat Jahan fake encounterÂ case
- Narendra Modiâ€™s Kolkata rally â€˜okayâ€™, crowd only 50,000 : VarunÂ Gandhi
- Stop personal attacks, Rahul tells spokespersons | The Indian Express