‘Set up juvenile aid police units in public places’
- Samajwadi Party row LIVE: Sacked by Akhilesh, Shivpal Yadav now at Mulayam Singh's residence
- Fadnavis surrenders to Thackeray Raj: ADHM set for Diwali release, Guild says no Pak hiring
- Won't hesitate to disrupt and destroy terror forces in Pakistan, warns US
- BSF jawan Gurnam Singh, injured in cross-border fire, succumbs to injuries
- In MNS, BJP sees a partner which can take Sena space
In the wake of rising cases of child abuse in the state, Women & Child Welfare Minister Varsha Gaikwad has written to Home Minister R R Patil asking him to take measures to tackle the menace, including deploying juvenile aid police units in public places.
"I request you to call for a meeting to discuss concrete measures for ensuring the safety of children in the state," said Gaikwad in the letter.
As per the National Crime Records Bureau, Maharashtra tops in the murder of children between 2006 and 2011. Statistics show 891 children below aged below ten years were killed in these five years.
Experts say most of these crimes are because of sexual abuse or for money. Mumbai has seen a spate of crimes against children. Gaikwad has suggested a slew of measures to curb such incidents.
"Juvenile aid police units should be deployed at bus and railway stations and other public areas," Gaikwad said.
At present, the state has special juvenile police unit, which handles matters concerning juveniles and also children in need of care and protection. However, detractors claim it is not as active as it should be.
The Minister has also written to the education department asking them to ensure that there is a helpline for children in each school and that a female attendant is present in each school bus.
Crime against children
Between 2006 and 2011, as per the National Crime Records Bureau, Maharashtra tops in the murder of children
As many as 91 children under the age of ten were killed in the five-year period in the state - the highest in the country
A total of 1,396 children aged up to 18 were killed
Other measures suggested
Helpline for children in each school
- Despite the government’s efforts, Pakistan is not friendless in the world
- The hyper-nationalism of recent weeks reveals the Hindu inferiority complex in the most embarrassing way
- If Pakistan is causing problems for India, why rush to the UK or the US?
- Inside track: Saas, Bahu, Samdhan
- 'Liberals' have moved from attacking triple talaq to an all-out attack on a 'right-wing govt
- Bombay must not be silenced — we're all stakeholders in its ability to speak, sing and dance