‘Set up juvenile aid police units in public places’
- SC slams BCCI over Lodha report: Better fall in line, or we will make you fall in line
- SAARC Summit: Now, Bangladesh, Bhutan and Afghanistan say they won't be going to Islamabad
- To isolate Pak, India pulls out of Islamabad SAARC summit
- Global competitiveness index: India jumps 16 ranks for second time, now at 39
- Shimon Peres, last surviving link to Israel's founding fathers, dies at 93
In the wake of rising cases of child abuse in the state, Women & Child Welfare Minister Varsha Gaikwad has written to Home Minister R R Patil asking him to take measures to tackle the menace, including deploying juvenile aid police units in public places.
"I request you to call for a meeting to discuss concrete measures for ensuring the safety of children in the state," said Gaikwad in the letter.
As per the National Crime Records Bureau, Maharashtra tops in the murder of children between 2006 and 2011. Statistics show 891 children below aged below ten years were killed in these five years.
Experts say most of these crimes are because of sexual abuse or for money. Mumbai has seen a spate of crimes against children. Gaikwad has suggested a slew of measures to curb such incidents.
"Juvenile aid police units should be deployed at bus and railway stations and other public areas," Gaikwad said.
At present, the state has special juvenile police unit, which handles matters concerning juveniles and also children in need of care and protection. However, detractors claim it is not as active as it should be.
The Minister has also written to the education department asking them to ensure that there is a helpline for children in each school and that a female attendant is present in each school bus.
Crime against children
Between 2006 and 2011, as per the National Crime Records Bureau, Maharashtra tops in the murder of children
As many as 91 children under the age of ten were killed in the five-year period in the state - the highest in the country
A total of 1,396 children aged up to 18 were killed
Other measures suggested
Helpline for children in each school
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- Shouldn’t weekly off day be a matter of choice, instead of being dictated by law?
- India’s search for alternatives to regional forum must quicken
- Struggle against caste system & capitalism are inextricably linked
- Telescope: Going places
- Power struggle within weakens Samajwadi Party already undergoing an identity crisis in UP