‘Set up juvenile aid police units in public places’
- Naxal threat has to be quashed with a firm hand, says Pranab, as Maoists kill 16 in Chhattisgarh ambush
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to the west coast
- AAP defends Rs 20,000 per person dinner with Kejriwal, says it was transparent
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
In the wake of rising cases of child abuse in the state, Women & Child Welfare Minister Varsha Gaikwad has written to Home Minister R R Patil asking him to take measures to tackle the menace, including deploying juvenile aid police units in public places.
"I request you to call for a meeting to discuss concrete measures for ensuring the safety of children in the state," said Gaikwad in the letter.
As per the National Crime Records Bureau, Maharashtra tops in the murder of children between 2006 and 2011. Statistics show 891 children below aged below ten years were killed in these five years.
Experts say most of these crimes are because of sexual abuse or for money. Mumbai has seen a spate of crimes against children. Gaikwad has suggested a slew of measures to curb such incidents.
"Juvenile aid police units should be deployed at bus and railway stations and other public areas," Gaikwad said.
At present, the state has special juvenile police unit, which handles matters concerning juveniles and also children in need of care and protection. However, detractors claim it is not as active as it should be.
The Minister has also written to the education department asking them to ensure that there is a helpline for children in each school and that a female attendant is present in each school bus.
Crime against children
Between 2006 and 2011, as per the National Crime Records Bureau, Maharashtra tops in the murder of children
As many as 91 children under the age of ten were killed in the five-year period in the state - the highest in the country
A total of 1,396 children aged up to 18 were killed
Other measures suggested
Helpline for children in each school
Female attendant in each school bus
- Woman murdered, body found in trunk
- Identity politics
- Lack of legal power hampers probe into missing Malaysian Airlines jet
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express