‘Steps to deepen corporate bond market in the offing’
- Mad rush, chaos as Arvind Kejriwal takes local train to woo 'aam aadmi' in Mumbai
- SC defers hearing on Sahara's plea on releasing Subrata Roy
- IAF aircraft on standby for missing Malaysian Airlines search ops
- Presidential delay in mercy petitions: SC won't reconsider verdict
- Lalu loyalist-turned rebel Ram Kripal Yadav joins BJP
To help finance the country's infrastructure sector that needs nearly $1 trillion in the next five years, the finance ministry on Friday said that it will take further measures to deepen the corporate bond market.
"We are examining what needs to be done to deepen the corporate bond market. The steps are all on the anvil. We are looking at them and we will be announcing those which are feasible very quickly," department of economic affairs secretary Arvind Mayaram said on the sidelines of an infrastructure conference.
The need to strengthen India's nascent corporate debt market has been raised by a number of committees including the Deepak Parekh committee on infra financing as well as a more recent panel that is looking into infrastructure funding for the Twelfth Five Year Plan.
Significantly, the Reserve Bank of India has recently also called for developing the corporate bond market. "India's infrastructure funding requirements (estimated at around 10 per cent of GDP annually) need a robust corporate bond market for diversifying risk, enhancing financial stability, and for better matching of risk-return preferences of the borrowers," RBI deputy governor Harun Khan had said last month.
India's corporate bond market is estimated at 11.8 per cent of GDP, which is lower than the average for emerging East Asia and for Japan at 17.2 and 19.8 per cent, respectively.
Meanwhile, to improve fund flows to core sector projects, the DEA secretary also pitched for a "bouquet of rated" infrastructure projects to ensure timely funding through the Infrastructure Development Funds (IDFs).
- Trouble for Khobragade as govt finds daughters have US, Indian passports
- AAP’s existence a miracle of Bhagwan, Allah: Kejriwal at Mumbai road show
- HC breather for widow, stay on sessions court order to act against her for filing ‘false complaint’
- Explain stand to DCP: HC to TISS students
- Cops record statements of two priests whom Sanap ‘consulted after crime’
- Atletico end Italian hopes