‘Swaraj’ plan lays down 2,700 mohalla sabhas for capital
- Not RSSâs job to chant âNamo, Namoâ, canât cross limits: Bhagwat
- Malaysia Airlines flight case: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Mocking Nitishâs âPM hopesâ, Modi woos Muslims, Yadavs
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
- DMK has room for Raja, Baalu, not for Alagiri
As an integral part of the party's ambitious plan to decentralise power and introduce 'Swaraj', the Aam Aadmi Party will seek to create around 2,700 mohalla sabhas across the city.
These sabhas will receive funds from the government, and will use them according to the needs and wants of the mohalla in question.
Senior leaders, however, said while the idea was central to the party's vision, its implementation would take a lot of "work and time".
Political Affairs Committee member Sanjay Singh said, "The plan is to have 10 mohalla sabhas in each ward. This adds up to roughly 2,700 sabhas across the city. One vidhan sabha will have around 40 mohalla sabhas. We have mapped the division of these sabhas on the basis of population in each area."
Singh said MLA development funds will be done away with. "This money will be distributed to each mohalla sabha, which will decide how to spend it. This ensures direct accountability and that the desire of the local populace is not ignored. The MLA will no longer be all-powerful and decision-making abilities will lie with the people," he said.
Senior leaders also said each sabha would have a representative in-charge of funds.
"The representative will be an elected member who is a resident of the mohalla. We will ensure that a person with full knowledge is in-charge. All these measures will form the genesis of the Swaraj bill," Singh said.
A substantial portion of the AAP manifesto is dedicated to the mohalla sabha concept.
It states, "Devolving power directly to people; decisions about development in any locality to be taken by mohalla sabhas; payments for any work (roads, pavement, etc) to be released only once the work is approved by mohalla sabhas; mohalla sabhas to monitor the functioning of local schools, primary health centres, ration shops."
- BJP Dalit leader mounts pressure on Kejriwal over AAP’s stand on reservation
- PGI gets 10 new glaucoma cases of kids every month
- Balongi: 4 more water samples fail; 3 kids among 4 new patients
- Kejriwal gave ‘misleading information’ about assets, complainant tells court
- Was told not to talk of Jaspal Bhatti… He was my husband, my motivation: Savita
- Delhi EC moots longer polling hours
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress