‘Teri Amrita’ staged, actors advocate strictest punishment for Delhi gangrape accused
- Maoists kill at least 7 poll officials, seven others in twin attack in Chhattisgarh
- World doesn't trust Modi, says Congress citing British newspaper
- FIR against SP leader Azam Khan over 'Kargil won by Muslim soldiers' remark
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Manmohan Singh didnât put wifeâs name in Rajya Sabha affidavit, says BJP
'Teri Amrita', a play translated in Punjabi was staged at Guru Nanak Bhawan on Friday. While talking to the Ludhiana Newsline on the sidelines of the play, veteran actors Om Puri and Divya Dutta demanded strictest punishment for accused in the Delhi gangrape incident.
Dutta said, "It does not matter whether the accused are juveniles or adults, culprits should be hanged immediately. I strongly feel that there has been no change in our mindset or working of the administration with regard to safety of women. We get busy in our daily lives and simply forget the incident, but we cannot afford to let this one go without letting it meet its rightful end".
Om Puri, who made a comeback in theatre after 20 years with this play, said, "Even films play a major role in such incidents by wrongly portraying women. I do not say that women should not wear what they want to, but I do believe that they should dress decently. There is a difference between decent and vulgar dressing".
Talking about the play as a director and actor, Puri said, "The play has been translated in Punjabi and is a unique one with two characters and their love story through letters. Set in times before partition, it is the story of a Hindu girl who is unable to meet a Muslim boy because of religious differences". The play has been written by Javed Siddiqui.
Puri added that two Punjabi movies were in the pipeline. Dutta said that she was doing a movie with Karan Johar, details of which she said would be disclosed along with her other flicks - Special 26, Bhaag Milkha Bhaag with Farhan Akhtar, Lootera with Ranveer Singh and Sanjay Dutt's Zilla Ghaziabad.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit