‘The annual agenda of DeitY is target oriented’
- PM Modi discusses GST bill with Manmohan, Sonia at 7 RCR; Cong says demands non-political
- Withdraw convocation invite to Narendra Modi: Jamia Millia alumni to VC
- PoK will remain with Pakistan, J&K will remain with India: Farooq Abdullah
- Liquor ban in Bihar: Nitish Kumar's poll promise to women comes at a high cost
- Amarinder Singh appointed as new Punjab Cong President
What do you have to say about the annual agenda of DeitY announced by the Minister for Communications and IT, Kapil Sibal?
The agenda is target oriented. It clearly lays out the outcomes targeted between January and December 2013. This would give an opportunity to the government, the department and the interested citizens to review and assess the performance of the department for 2013. I believe, this should be the way in which most department entrusted with "public spending" should function.
Will there be problems in setting up mobile apps, mobile payment gateway?
The agenda covers no less than 18 "initiatives" with overall "objectives" and expected "outcomes" by 2013. Understandably, the objectives and outcomes are focused on pet initiatives such as mobile and electronic governance, electronics manufacturing, cyber security and promotion of software and services industry. Taking a deeper look, some of the objectives are clearly articulated, tangible and measurable. These, if achieved, will not only change the way government services are delivered, but will also act as an effective catalyst to the apps market.
DeitY is going to look into specific agenda areas. Do you think they are achievable?
Connected with the delivery of government services is the establishment of a cloud infrastructure. Here the specific target is setting up the infrastructure at the NIC Data Centre in Delhi. Again a specific target with much positive impact. The approval to set up an e-governance academy is also a part of this year's agenda. To close the governance piece, there would also be a dial in service to inform the citizens of various government welfare schemes.
Do you think that Centre is focusing on electronics manufacturing industry
- Good governance is in actions, not in 'abolishing' religious holidays of minorities
- Respecting sovereignty is the essence of bilateral diplomatic engagement
- Islam doesn’t justify targeting innocent lives in the manner in which it was done in Paris
- Imran Khan is a politician with a sense of personal destiny, and a divine mission
- Game upside down
- Why every patriot should be worried, and, yes, ashamed