‘The impression of fear, it’s good for me... I like it’
- Jigisha Ghosh murder case: Two convicts get death sentence, life imprisonment for one
- Ban pellet guns in Kashmir, Omar Abdullah-led delegation asks PM Modi
- PM Modi, Afghan President Ghani jointly inaugurate renovated Stor Palace
- AAP doesn't have money to fight election: Kejriwal
- Kicking off UP poll campaign, Mayawati slams BJP-RSS, SP, is soft on Congress
My guest today is, well, there are many ways to describe him— ageless angry young man of Mumbai, cartoonist, and the Lion in Winter... so let me ask Balasaheb Thackeray which one does he prefer.
Call me a tiger.
A tiger for all seasons?
All seasons, yes. There is no season. When I met Narendra Modi, I said here is a Gujarat lion. He liked it.
Considering that not many people say good things about him...
...Everyone was demanding Modi must go... I told BJP, "If Modi goes, Gujarat goes..."
But remember, Atalji had gone to Gujarat and talked about Raj Dharma... There was an issue of Raj Dharma in what happened in Gujarat, wasn't there?
Raj Dharma? Huh! What's Raj Dharma? There is no such thing anywhere in the country. There is only one dharma, Muslim dharma.
I am fascinated by your saying that you are not a Gandhian because today Gandhi has become very popular...
Sometimes you love a person, admire a person, respect a person... as it is in my case. I don't know why people love me, admire me...
They also fear you.
I welcome that fear.
And why should they fear you?
That you should ask them. When they meet me they say, "Oh, such a wonderful man." They never think he is (I am) an arrogant man. (They think) I am a simple man. After meeting me, they carry that impression.
But not everybody can meet you .
That's the impression (of fear) outside. And it's good for me...I like it.
You see nothing wrong with dictatorship if it is benevolent?
No. But it has to be benevolent dictatorship. Why I am where I am? The mobs need leadership.
You wrote an editorial recently in Samna praising Saddam Hussein.
Yes I did, because I did not like it when Bush attacked Iraq.
How does that square with your suspicion of the Muslims?
I don't blame all Muslims, but it is difficult to make out which Muslim loves this country and which doesn't.
You don't regret having praised Hitler?
I condemn Hitler because of the massacre of Jews. But I love artists, painters.
... as you have picked up your wine glass, let me wish you a happy 80th birthday. Do you drink wine in the afternoon everyday?
Yes... and in the evening, after nine.
You have it as wine or medicine?
Actually medicine. I have constipation. The doctor advised me to drink red wine, but I don't like the taste of it. I like white.
Red wine is good for the heart...
- Farm incomes may not revive despite good monsoon
- India’s new line that Pak will have to pay for cross-border terror was overdue
- Just how did Pakistan become so central to the definition of Indian patriotism?
- Why AAP needs to go back to school
- Next door Nepal: Detente in Kathmandu
- PM's Balochistan policy: Gameplan, gambit or gamble?