‘Track hate crimes against Sikhs, Hindus’
- 'AAP has become a Khap Panchayat,' says Prashant Bhushan after expulsion from party
- Salman Khan hit-and-run case: Verdict to be announced on May 6
- Maneka Gandhi calls for nation-wide ban on cow, buffalo slaughter
- Venkaiah Naidu is Modi govt’s defence against Rahul Gandhi
- After 56-day absence, Rahul Gandhi makes comeback in Parliament
Concerned over spurt in attacks on Sikhs, Hindus and other minorities in America, the US Justice Department has asked FBI to track hate crimes against them.
Terming bullying and harassment of Sikh children as a "serious problem", a top official of the justice department recommended that crimes against Sikhs and Hindus be added to the religion-based hate crimes tracked by the FBI to help law enforcement officials tackle the problem.
Assistant Attorney General in the department's civil rights division Tom Perez said there is "strong support" from interfaith groups for adding anti-Sikh, anti-Hindu and anti-Arab to hate crime categories tracked by FBI's Uniform Crime Report.
Indian-Americans will organise event to honour Obama
Washington: Signifying the arrival of the three million-plus community at the national stage, the first ever Indian-American inaugural ball to celebrate the re-election of the US President Barack Obama would be held here two nights before he takes the oath of office for his second term, organisers of this 2013 Inaugural Ball have announced.