‘When in field, I think about myself as police officer, not as a woman’
- India's naval might on full display off Visakhapatnam coast
- Kerala solar scam: Had freedom to enter Chandy’s house anytime, says Saritha Nair
- Australian national suspected to be IS supporter deported from Delhi airport
- At least 39 dead as Gujarat state transport bus plunges into river
- Cops have a case for new juvenile law: boy who ‘killed 2’
With the arrival of five new Deputy Superintendents of Police in the UT police department, the Chandigarh police has got its first woman DSP. Kamla Devi Meena, who had joined the Indian Police Service in DANIPS cadre, has handled assignments like the Sarojini Nagar Bomb Blasts and the infamous Maulana Azad Medical College rape case. She was also the personal security officer (PSO) of former prime minister Indira Gandhi.
"I was the SHO of the Sarojini Nagar police station during blasts in Delhi. I dealt with the blast situation in Sarojini Nagar market. When in the field, the fact that I am a police officer is the only thing on my mind and not that I am a woman," said DSP Meena, who had joined the UT police with four other DSPs from the Delhi Police on deputation earlier this year.
The Sarojini Nagar market was one of the three crowded places in Delhi where nearly 200 people had lost their lives on October 29, 2005 in bomb blasts.
"I have also assisted in the investigation of infamous Maulana Azad Medical Collage rape case. I had worked in apprehending main accused Rahul and his accomplices in the case," she added. The incident had occurred in November 2002 when a student of MAMC was raped by three unknown people in Delhi.
Meena joined the Delhi Police as an Assistant Sub-Inspector in 1980. She was posted in many police stations in the capital. She has also been a personal security officer to former prime minister Indira Gandhi.
She has earned 66 commendation certificates during her entire service. Her husband, who is into his own business now, has always supported her. "My family feels good to see me work. They get happy as they see me solve cases," said the DSP, grandmother of two.
- No proof required: MGNREGA does not help poor
- Male-dominated ‘places of worship’ are places where god doesn’t reside
- As Sushma visits Lanka, India should invest its diplomatic capital in finding constitutional solution
- There is talk of 4th industrial revolution. How about spreading the benefits of the preceding three
- It Made China See Red
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2