‘Would like to see a woman CM in Punjab’
- Modi government softens stand on controversial Land Acquisition Bill, says ready for talks
- Gangster Abu Salem sentenced to life imprisonment in Pradeep Jain murder case
- Went to casino for dinner with family, apologise for my choice of venue: Moin Khan
- Ready to discuss issue of alleged stealing of Petroleum ministry documents: Government
- Salman Khan black buck poaching case: Jodhpur court defers verdict
The women present on the occasion of Rahul Gandhi's visit to Panjab University were delighted as he made a special reference to them.
While most students were disappointed by Rahul's neglect of issues related to education in Punjab, it seemed like women were content by the visit as the Gandhi heir said that Punjab should have a woman CM in the coming years. "I would like to see a female Chief Minister in Punjab in the next 10 to 15 years as only women can take a state forward," he said.
In his brief address to the 5000-odd audience Rahul said that all states which have female Chief Ministers are constantly developing. He added, "It is essential for women to participate in politics and move out of home to work".
Mandeep Kaur, an M Tech student said, "He said what is relevant on a national level and we should appreciate it. Besides, while many leaders are making regressive comments on women nowadays, he has asked them to come forward and participate in active politics."
Other students fulfilled their personal desires to meet the bachelor Gandhi. A student, Indrani Singh said, "It was a memorable experience for me as I got to see Rahul Gandhi. I will always cherish the paper mask of his face that I got. He is a youth icon and will always remain our hero".
Many girls had even brought roses to present them to their 'favourite' leader. The SPG, however, made sure that none of the students wandered near the stage, killing the hopes of many. Rahul Gandhi, yet, obliged by bending over the iron rail partitions and shaking hands with the eagerly waiting crowd.