1 killed, 1 hurt as tanker catches fire in Sewri
- Aamir Khan responds, says 'Proud to be Indian, stand by what I said'
- GST is in the interest of the nation, says PM Modi at all-party meet
- Rescued Russian pilot says no warning from Turkey before jet downed
- 'Suit boot ki sarkar' is failing because there are no jobs: Rahul Gandhi
- BJP strategy in Parliament: Aggression is the best form of defense
One person was killed and one injured when a tanker caught fire after a freak accident in Sewri on Tuesday.
Police said the tanker's fuel tank was being repaired at a garage on Haaji Bunder Road, Sewri, when the incident occurred. The tanker was brought to the garage after the fuel tank developed a leak, an officer said.
"Riyaz Sheikh (50) was welding the fuel tank's lid when some sparks entered the fuel tank. Prima facie, it is believed that the sparks came into contact with some residual diesel inside the fuel tank, leading to an explosion. It is also possible that the presence of fumes in the fuel tank might have caused the blast. Sheikh and the tanker's cleaner Lal Bahadur (22) suffered severe burns," said an officer with the Sewree police.
Both were taken to a nearby private hospital where Bahadur succumbed to burn injuries. Sheikh is out of danger, the police said.
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?
- Telescope: Aamir and Chinese whispers
- What Manmohan Singh really think about the Planning Commission?
- Going solar
- Newspaper is supposed to expose corruption and injustice wherever it finds it