1 killed, 1 hurt as tanker catches fire in Sewri
- Vote for Supriya Sule or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit Pawar
- Watch video: Baba Ramdev caught on camera discussing money with BJP candidate
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day
- Election Commission lifts ban on BJP leader Amit Shah after he promises to behave
One person was killed and one injured when a tanker caught fire after a freak accident in Sewri on Tuesday.
Police said the tanker's fuel tank was being repaired at a garage on Haaji Bunder Road, Sewri, when the incident occurred. The tanker was brought to the garage after the fuel tank developed a leak, an officer said.
"Riyaz Sheikh (50) was welding the fuel tank's lid when some sparks entered the fuel tank. Prima facie, it is believed that the sparks came into contact with some residual diesel inside the fuel tank, leading to an explosion. It is also possible that the presence of fumes in the fuel tank might have caused the blast. Sheikh and the tanker's cleaner Lal Bahadur (22) suffered severe burns," said an officer with the Sewree police.
Both were taken to a nearby private hospital where Bahadur succumbed to burn injuries. Sheikh is out of danger, the police said.
The police registered a complaint of causing death and endangering life due to negligence against Kallu Mistry, the garage owner. No arrest has been made yet, police said.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer