1 killed, 1 hurt as tanker catches fire in Sewri
- Sushma Swaraj rubbishes Pakistan's 4-point peace formula at UN
- US shooting: 15 dead, 20 wounded at Oregon community college; shooter detained
- Day after Dadri lynching, VP Ansari says state has to ensure right to life
- Delhi: Man shoots self at Rajiv Chowk Metro station
- BJP MP compares Modi with Gandhi, Cong says 'sycophancy at its worst'
One person was killed and one injured when a tanker caught fire after a freak accident in Sewri on Tuesday.
Police said the tanker's fuel tank was being repaired at a garage on Haaji Bunder Road, Sewri, when the incident occurred. The tanker was brought to the garage after the fuel tank developed a leak, an officer said.
"Riyaz Sheikh (50) was welding the fuel tank's lid when some sparks entered the fuel tank. Prima facie, it is believed that the sparks came into contact with some residual diesel inside the fuel tank, leading to an explosion. It is also possible that the presence of fumes in the fuel tank might have caused the blast. Sheikh and the tanker's cleaner Lal Bahadur (22) suffered severe burns," said an officer with the Sewree police.
Both were taken to a nearby private hospital where Bahadur succumbed to burn injuries. Sheikh is out of danger, the police said.