1 lakh books sold on Flipkart in single day
- Rafale fighter jet deal: What does it mean for India?
- Murder convict, posing as visitor, escapes from Bangalore central prison
- Twice he promised, twice Haryana CM ML Khattar stood up Navy officer kin
- Express Impact: From today, stop construction that’s polluting air, says NGT
- Voting begins for Maharashtra Assembly byelections
Flipkart.com, the online marketplace, sold one lakh books in a single day on June 3, the company said in a statement.
To celebrate the milestone authors Chetan Bhagat, Amish Tripathi and Ravinder Singh visited homes of select customers across Mumbai and Delhi and delivered books that they had purchased on Flipkart.
Speaking about this achievement, Ravi Vora, Sr. VP – Marketing, Flipkart said "This is a big moment for us and we wanted to celebrate it with the people who made it possible – the authors and our customers.
"Flipkart is focusing on growing the books category aggressively especially genres like Children's books as well as eBooks. Currently we have 1.5 lakh eBook titles and are looking to grow this to more than 3 lakhs over the next quarter," added Ravi.
According to Nielsen BookScan Retail Panel data, in 2013, Flipkart holds an average of 40% - 45% in terms of value when it comes to the organised books market in India.
The company has plans to grow the category by another 50% this year. The top five metros for book sales include Bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai and Hyderabad.
Among the non-metros, Guwahati, Chandigarh and Ahmedabad see the most business in this category.