10% reserved staff positions in Central government lying vacant
- Malaysia Airlines plane may have turned back before vanishing, says Air force chief
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress
- Varanasi seat row: RSS worried but believes BJP will solve it
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
- Vajpayee wanted Modi to quit over Gujarat riots, but party said no: Venkaiah Naidu
In the Central government jobs, 15 per cent seats are reserved for SCs, 7.5 per cent seats for STs and 27 per cent seats for OBCs. The reason for the low representation of OBCs despite the fact that they have 27 per cent quota is that reservation for this category was implemented only in September 1993.
Moreover, while government departments initiate special recruitment schemes for reserved categories, no large-scale recruitment is done. On the other hand, many ministries have appointed large number of employees on contractual basis. Such appointments do not come under the purview of reservation.