10% reserved staff positions in Central government lying vacant
- Sonia Gandhi attacks BJP ideology, says Country is at crossroads
- Rahul mocks Modi, says his Gujarat development model is a toffee model
- Under fire over Baru's revelation, Congress retorts by calling 'Vajpayee the weakest PM India ever had'
- Narendra Modi, party not separate, no infighting: BJP on Joshi's remarks
- Priyanka Gandhi denies report on fighting polls against Modi
In the Central government jobs, 15 per cent seats are reserved for SCs, 7.5 per cent seats for STs and 27 per cent seats for OBCs. The reason for the low representation of OBCs despite the fact that they have 27 per cent quota is that reservation for this category was implemented only in September 1993.
Moreover, while government departments initiate special recruitment schemes for reserved categories, no large-scale recruitment is done. On the other hand, many ministries have appointed large number of employees on contractual basis. Such appointments do not come under the purview of reservation.