10 criminals from two gangs held, all drug addicts
- 'Allegations against Somnath Bharti prime facie correct, police justified in refusing Khirki Extension raid'
- Kaushambi to Kanpur: Arvind Kejriwal kicks off three-day UP yatra
- State Forest Dept guest house is police custody for Sahara chief Subrata Roy
- War in Congress: Old soldiers fight Rahul brigade
- Sorry to kill a great story, thereâs no Hercule Parrot
The police on Tuesday night claimed to have foiled a loot bid on new year's eve with the arrest of ten criminals from two gangs.
In the first crack down, the CIA staff arrested five persons near the grain market at Kohara road in Sahnewal. As many as 30 cases of loot, snatching and murder were registered against them.
All the arrested persons are drug addicts.
Addressing a press conference, Police Commissioner Nirmal Singh Dhillon said the accused were also behind numerous loots, car thefts, snatching and other crimes in the city.
In the second crack down, the police arrested five members of a gang who were also involved in robberies and snatching.
A team led by Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police Bhupinder Singh raided the grain market near Arora Palace on a tip off and arrested the accused.
All of them are 18-20 years old and indulge in criminal activity only to get money for drugs, Police Commissioner Dhillon added.