10 held for attack on journalist
- Arvind Kejriwal calls 'emergency' Assembly session to discuss Centre's notification on Lt Governor's role
- Celebrations in AIADMK camp as Jayalalithaa becomes Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- No full statehood rights to Delhi unless there is consensus, says Arun Jaitley
- Gujjar protest to continue as talks with Rajasthan govt fail
- Heat wave toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana reaches 223
The police on Tuesday arrested 10 people from Jalandhar's Sodhal area for allegedly attacking a correspondent with a national television channel with kirpans when he attempted to shield a girl, who was reportedly being molested by suspected SAD activists in the busy Bhagat Singh Market.
While the accused were sent to judicial custody, the police will move an application in the court on Wednesday demanding police remand of the accused.
The incident occurred around 6 pm on Monday, when the girl — an employee at the MBD Market — was returning home on foot after office hours. She was allegedly caught by three 'drunk' youth, who allegedly began molesting her. NDTV correspondent, Ashwini Malhotra, who was passing through the market, managed to save her but suffered injuries.
Meanwhile, Jalandhar Police Commissioner Gaurav Yadav has asked ADCP Navjot Singh Mahal to probe the case and also look into allegations that the police were initially reluctant to register a case.