10-yr-old’s murder: Rs 1 lakh reward for info on accused
- FIR against SP leader Azam Khan over hate speech
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- How can Modi honour women if he canât mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Mewat simmers after poll clash, killing of Muslim youth
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Six election officials killed in Naxal attack; FIR filed against Azam Khan
With the Chandigarh police unable to make a headway in the murder case of a 10-year-old girl, whose body was found on December 1 near the forest area in Sector 52, it has now announced a reward of Rs 1 lakh for providing information about the identity or the whereabouts of the accused.
The police on Thursday rounded up as many as 40 residents of Palsora village for questioning on suspicion. Most of them were labourers, who either reside alone or are substance abuse addicts.
The 10 teams of police personnel who were conducting door-to-door questioning also completed the verification process.
The post-mortem report of the girl had suggested that she was sexually assaulted before she was murdered. According to police sources, vaginal injury, injuries on the neck and six other injuries were found on her body.
However, it is yet to be ascertained whether she was forced into intercourse or a foreign object was inserted inside her body, which will be confirmed after the Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL) gives its findings on the vaginal swabs, to be sent by the Chandigarh police.
The girl was reported to be missing on November 27 after she did not return home till late evening. Later, the police found the body of the girl in a jute sack near the forest area in Sector 52. A plastic rope was found tied around the girl's neck suggesting that she was strangled. A case of murder was registered.
Her body was cremated on December 3 with around 200 villagers visiting the cremation ground to support her family.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit