11 construction workers die in wall collapse in Thane
At least 11 workers were killed when the protection wall at a construction site collapsed due to heavy rains in the afternoon, police said.
Ten of them were buried alive at the site in Mira Bhayander, a suburb of Mumbai, while another succumbed to injures in a local hospital. An injured labourer was undergoing treatment at the hospital, they said.
Relief and rescue operation has been launched by the Fire Brigade and police with the help of locals.
Fire Brigade sources said they received a call around 2.30 pm about the incident and five fire engines were rushed to the scene.
The workers had put up temporary huts at the site and were taking rest inside when the protection wall fell on them, police said.
It was not immediately known how many labourers were present at the construction spot, being developed by Rizvi Builders, they said.
- Across the aisle: The ethos of India wins the election
- Salvation of India rests with Modi, provided he reforms himself
- Not much time left for Modi's 'Sabka Saath Sabka Vikas'
- Let's admit, India among countries with highest levels of religious tolerance
- Inside Track: L K Advani's birthday business
- Bihar: what happened and why