11 cops surrender in fake encounter case
- Supreme Court to hear plea today for relook at verdict on gay sex
- J&K Governor calls for talks today, PDP signals phone call from Delhi may bring back BJP alliance
- RBI keeps repo rate unchanged at 6.7%; CRR at 4%
- Raigad: 13 Pune college students drown during picnic at Murud beach
- Zika virus outbreak: WHO declares global emergency
Eleven of the 18 Uttarakhand Police personnel accused in a 2009 fake encounter case, where an MBA student was shot dead in Dehradun, surrendered before a Delhi court on Tuesday. The court sent them to judicial custody.
The accused policemen surrendered before Special CBI Judge V K Maheshwari after the court had issued non-bailable warrants against them in May.
The other accused in the case are lodged in Tihar Jail.
A 22-year-old MBA student from Ghaziabad, Ranbir Singh, was allegedly gunned down by Uttarakhand Police in July 2009 after being caught while allegedly trying to commit some crime on July 3, 2009. The case was transferred to Delhi by the Supreme Court on the plea of Ranbir's father Ravindra Singh.
Ranbir's father had alleged that his son had gone to Dehradun in search of a job where he was arrested by the police on July 3, 2009 on the pretext of him being involved in some robbery. He had alleged that on the same day, 29 bullets were pumped into his body and the incident was passed off as an encounter.
All the 18 policemen have been charged for various offences such as murder, kidnapping, criminal conspiracy, destruction of evidence and public servant framing incorrect record.
- The economy is best served by lowering interest rates and blocking protectionism
- As it completes 10 years, there is enough evidence to show that India needs the MGNREGA
- For Randhir Singh, teaching was next to revolution-making.
- Intizar Husain seemed as much a stranger in a strange land in Pakistan as he did in India
- Ten years on, MGNREGA requires constant review. And consistency in political support
- The global economy is in trouble but India is attracting positive comment