12-yr-old raped, rod pushed through her neck
- Army said unit was headed for IAF drill, ex-Air Chief says this was due only a month later
- Wary of Muslim âdisapprovalâ, Mamata doesnât meet US envoy
- Telangana bill passage shows country can take difficult decisions: Prime Minister
- The 2012 troop movement investigations
- In city of Taj, American-Indian love story ends in tragedy
In yet another gruesome crime against women, a 12-year-old girl was allegedly raped by a youth who later pushed a sharp edged rod through her neck in an attempt to kill her in Dhantala area of English Bazar in West Bengal's Malda district.
The accused Abhay Mondal, 27, a resident of Birhampur area of Kalia Chowk II in the district offered the girl some sweets and lured her out of her home Saturday night on the pretext of buying her a sweater and then took her to a mango orchard in Dhantala where he raped her, police said Sunday, adding that the youth was later arrested. After committing the crime, the youth pushed a sharp-edged rod through her neck and fled, assuming her to be dead, they said. Mondal returned home, washed himself and went to sleep.
Though the girl was badly injured and lost consciousness, she somehow managed to come out and reach a roadside tea stall. Seeing the bleeding girl, local residents rushed her to the Malda Medical College for treatment. District Superintendent of Police Kalyan Mukherjee and state Tourism Minister Krishnendu Nara-yan Chowdhury, who is also the local MLA, reached the hospital to ensure that the victim got proper treatment and the matter investigated.
"We arrested Mondal from the Birhampur area where he was hiding after committing the crime. Investigations are on," Mukherjee said, adding that the youth was presented in court today which remanded him in police custody for three days.
"It is a shocking incident. The police acted swiftly and arrested the offender," the minister said, adding the girl was in a stable condition and that the state will bear all her medical expenses.
- MNS stages protest against another hospital in a week
- Fiesta Mexicana
- 1993 blasts: Zaibunissa’s parole extended by a month
- Civic body yet to register builders, hold them accountable for illegalities
- BMC outsources garden upkeep to private firms for Rs 155 crore
- Telephone operator’s gangrape at Shakti Mills: Four accused plead not guilty
- What should common man expect when PM’s killers are freed: Rahul on Jayalalithaa’s decision
- Anna Hazare says, I support Mamata Banerjee for her ideas
- The regressive state | The Indian Express
- Top General speaks: Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly