13-year-old booked for raping minor
- PDP, BJP seal alliance to form government in Jammu & Kashmir
- RK Pachauri, accused of sexual harassment, quits UN climate change panel
- Centre's land bill is anti-farmer, says Kejriwal at Anna protest rally
- SpiceJet launches low-fare offer for Holi; one lakh seats on the block
- BJP defends Bhagwat, claims Mother Teresa admitted she was not a social worker
Police on Friday booked a 13-year-old boy for allegedly raping a two-and-a-half year old girl earlier this week. The accused has been charged under the Indian Penal Code as well as stringent Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012.
Police said the accused used to work as a helper at a fast-food stall in Ambarnath. "He knew the victim as she stays in the same area where he worked. Wednesday, he excused himself from work for a while, after which he took the girl to a secluded spot and forced himself on her," said senior inspector Shivshankar Mundhe.
The girl narrated the incident to her parents later, after which they approached police. The victim was subjected to medical tests and a complaint was registered against the accused.
"As the accused is a minor, he cannot be arrested. We registered a complaint of rape against him under section 376 of the IPC as well as Section 3 of PCSOA. He was produced in juvenile court in Bhiwandi and is currently in the juvenile remand home there," Munde added.
Police are trying to find out if accused had targeted other minors in the area.
The accused was questioned to this end and inquiries are also underway among residents of the area, police said.
Inquiries have indicated that the boy had not tried to exploit the victim in the past.