13-yr-old girl ‘accidentally’ shot dead in Mundka
- Why Germanwings flight A320 might have crashed over the French Alps
- Indian Navy surveillance aircraft crashes in Goa; two officers missing
- Section 66A: 21 individuals whose petitions changed the system
- Government is willing to compromise on land bill: Venkaiah Naidu
- A little reminder: No one in House debated Section 66A, Congress brought it and BJP backed it
A 13-year-old girl was killed after her cousin accidentally shot her dead in a banquet hall in West Delhi's Mundka area on Sunday night, police said. The incident was reported from IP Motel on Rohtak Road in Mundka around 10.30 pm on Sunday.
The girl, Shivi Gupta, is from Modi Nagar, Uttar Pradesh. She had come to Delhi with her cousin Shankar to attend the wedding of her relative. During the baraat, Shankar fired a round in the air using his licensed revolver, but the bullet accidentally hit the girl. Shivi's family members did not inform the police and took her back to Modi Nagar, where she succumbed to her injuries, police said. The owner of the banquet hall is a relative of Shankar, police said.
Additional Commissioner of Police (West) V Renganathan said, "Instead of informing police about the incident, family members took the injured girl to Modi Nagar, where she died. We sent a team to Modi Nagar and took the body in custody. A case of death due to negligence has been registered and investigation is on. The post-mortem report is awaited."
Police said the revolver was licensed to Shankar's uncle. Shivi's body has been preserved in the mortuary of Sanjay Gandhi Memorial Hospital for post-mortem. Shankar is on the run, police said. They said they were tracking his call records to trace his movement, apprehend him, and recover the weapon.